Being a mum is tough on the best of the days, with squabbling, fighting children to manage, school to get through, dinner to cook, children to feed and the million and one other things I have to do before the day is out. I can become overwhelmed and frustrated but I have learnt, and am still learning , to stand on the truth of God’s Word and less on my feelings; what I see, hear, and what may or may not be taking place around me.
To do this I need God’s Word to anchor my soul, not just on the tough days, but on the good days too.
Here are 10 passages of scripture that help keep my feet planted in truth and not get swept away with my fleeting feelings on those tough mummy days.
- I can do all things through him who strengthens me – Philippians 4:13
- And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up – Galatians 6:9
- Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. – Isaiah 40: 28-29
- But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me – 2 Corinthians 12:9
- And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work. – 2 Corinthians 9:8
- No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us – Romans 8:37
- No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it – 1 Corinthians 10:13
- Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathise with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need – Hebrews 4:14-16
- Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus – Philippians 4:6-7
- So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal – 2 Corinthians 4:16-18
When I take a moment or 10 to meditate on one of these verses in the midst of what feels like World War III in my home, and truly believe God’s Word over my feelings/circumstances, I find I have the strength and the grace to handle the situation in a way that glorifies God.
What Scriptures do you hold on to as a mum to get you through the tough moments of your day?
Yes, I agree to receive info from Gospel Centered Mum.